Caution! If you have metallic, electronic, magnetic, or mechanical parts implanted into your body, the strong magnetic fields used in magnetic resonance (MR) may be hazardous to you.
5 Gauss Line.
The pine accordion fences near the superconducting magnets indicate where the magnetic field has dropped to at least 5 Gauss.
CAUTION! IF you have metallic, electronic, magnetic, or mechanical parts implanted into your body, DO NOT ENTER INTO EVEN THE 5 GAUSS REGION OF THE MAGNETIC FIELD.
10 Gauss Line.
At 10 Gauss, slightly closer to the magnet from the 5 Gauss line, watches with hands will start to slow down and the magnetic strips from credit cards will be erased. DO NOT BRING TOOLS OR ANY METALLIC OBJECTS INTO THE MAGNETIC FIELD!
The only thing worse than getting something stuck to the magnet, is trying to remove it yourself. Don't follow one grand mistake by another . . . contact an NMR facility manager as soon as possible, AND LEAVE THINGS AS THEY ARE!
A QUENCH IS VERY DANGEROUS SINCE THE RAPIDLY EXPANDING GASES WILL DISPLACE ALL THE AIR (OXYGEN) IN THE ROOM. IF A MAGNET APPEARS TO BE IN ANY DANGER OF QUENCHING - LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY AND NOTIFY EVERYONE NEARBY OF THE DANGER.
A third, emergency, exit is located between the DPX200 and the AVIII400.
Fire extinguishers are located next to the two main entrances.
Use of liquid nitrogen requires special training. Contact the NMR lab managers.
Technion safety unit - https://sites.google.com/site/techsafety1/home
NMR Lab Policies
- Know the dangers that exist in an NMR lab (magnetic fields, quenches, broken glass).
- No metals next to the magnets.
- Authorization for spectrometer usage is via Shifi or Yael, only.
- Wipe the tubes and spinners before inserting them into the magnet.
- If a sample breaks, notify Yael or Shifi for assistance in clean up.
- You must vacate the instrument before the next user's turn. If you would like the next user to do you the favor of halting your experiment and removing your sample, you must leave a written note to that effect. Include your name and phone number in case of accidents or questions.
- If you do not want to remove someone else's sample from the magnet, contact Yael or Shifi or the sample's owner.
- If a sample breaks in the magnet, get help immediately for probe cleaning. Yael and Shifi's mobile phone numbers are posted in the lab. Corrosive solvents will cause damage.
- No food or beverages near the spectrometers.
- No gloves or lab coats in the NMR lab
- You may prepare your samples in the hood. Clean up after you finish.
- A group box is provided for temporary placement of NMR tubes. Do not store your tubes in the NMR lab.
- All users must abide by the scheduling restrictions of the NMR lab.
- All users must sign the spectrometer log-book.
- Before trying something new, make an appointment with Yael or Shifi.
- You are responsible for backing up your own data. CDs and DVDs are available from Yael and Shifi. Files are randomly deleted from the spectrometers.